At last, the answer to a question that many are asking, Is coffee healthy for you? If you’re a Coffee drinker, like me, you will be happy to learn that our favorite drink is now considered a healthy drink.
Coffee was not always considered a healthy drink because of its high caffeine content. But now, more and more studies show that coffee—in moderation—can be considered as a healthy drink because of the number of benefits one can enjoy from drinking it. That makes me very Happy. ?
In most countries, coffee is considered as a staple drink. In fact, all over the world, people have their specialty coffee from beans that only grow and found in that part of the globe. I love my Starbucks Latte’s and while it’s not considered a gourmet coffee, McDonalds has good coffee also.
What Are The Benefits Of Drinking Coffee?
1. Coffee is an excellent source of anti-oxidants. A cup of coffee is believed to be loaded with tannin and antioxidants that are beneficial in keeping diseases away and can help achieve a healthier skin. Certain properties of coffee are believed to help control the cell damage which leads to the development of certain diseases.
2. Coffee is good for the cardiovascular system. Experts agree that coffee contains properties that are good for the heart and its arteries. It also helps improve the circulation of blood within the person’s heart.
3. Whenever I feel a headache coming on I reach for a cup of Coffee. Coffee is an alternative headache and asthma reliever. People who consume enough amount of caffeine are known to reduce risks of possible asthma attacks because the caffeine is believed to be a good pain buster.
4. Promotes healthy liver. Aside from reducing the risk of several serious cardiovascular illnesses, coffee is believed to bring about healthy benefits to the liver especially those who have cirrhosis and gallstones.
5. Controls sugar levels among diabetics. Coffee is known to be a good source of “chlorogenic acid,” that are proven to reduce large amounts of glucose concentrations in the blood. People who are prone to diabetes can consume larger quantities of coffee because it greatly helps in the prevention of diabetes.
6. It can be a boost to athleticism. As a health drink, drinking coffee can be a good way to boost one’s athleticism because of its high caffeine content. Experts agree that caffeine can enhance the athletic endurance and performance of an athlete, what more in an ordinary person?
Best Coffee Maker To Buy
So now that we know that coffee is actually good for us I would remiss if I didn’t share my favorite coffee maker with you. Cuisinart Brew Central DCC-1200 12 Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
My Cuisinart DCC-1200 is my all-time favorite. I have never spent this much money on a coffee maker, but after buying a new coffee pot every year I decided it was time to upgrade. Unfortunately those $25.00 coffee makers just don’t last and after tasting coffee from a Cuisinart there was no looking back. The reasons I love my Cuisinart are:
My coffee tastes so much better in the Cuisinart! Could it be the charcoal filter that’s making my coffee taste so good?
The plastic parts (like the plastic carafe lid and handle) feel like good heavyweight plastic and are well molded.
The 5 beeps when the coffee is ready is nice, but if I really can’t wait and want a cup in mid-brew, I can just remove the pot and pour a cup – you’ve got a full 30 seconds to reinsert the pot before you risk an overflowing filter.
I love the permanent gold-tone filter too. No more paper filters for me. But you can use paper filters in the machine if you want too. I just prefer the convenience of the gold-tone filter (top rack machine washable too).
It has an indicator light for cleaning — it says it’s “self-cleaning” but really it’s just a light telling you when you need to pour in a pot of water/vinegar and run it through to de-calcify the unit. This is a great feature, one that I’ve never had before.
There is a low-medium-high setting on the hot plate. And the auto-shutoff feature is great. I don’t have to worry about forgetting to turn the machine off.
The instruction booklet is very easy to understand and very thorough. Comes with parts reordering form too. All in all, this is my favorite coffee maker I have ever purchased, I have purchased a lot of them.
Best Insulated Coffee Thermos
For me, there is nothing worse than drinking cold coffee! Before I bought my Contigo insulated Thermos I was only filling my coffee cup half way and refilling it numerous times. Now I have hot coffee all the time and what’s best I can take it with me. I bought the Contigo because of its reviews. (Over 3,000 + reviews). That speak volumes for the product. It keeps your coffee or tea hot for up to 6 hours, and your cold drinks for 12 hours and there are numerous colors to choose from.
Its biggest competition is a new product the Helix, it says that your hot items will remain hot up to 15 hours and cold up to 20 hours. It also has a tea infuser. While this thermos does not have as many reviews, all that I have read are very favorable. Included is a brush for cleaning. After reviewing numerous thermoses these are my 2 top choices.
Research Studies – Coffee Health Benefit
Research shows that regular coffee drinkers are 80 percent less likely to have Parkinson’s disease. While 2-cups-a-day drinkers can reduce the risk of colon cancer by 25 percent and 80 percent in liver cirrhosis risk. It can even slash the risk of gallstones by half. There are even studies showing that people who smoke and drink heavily, have less heart and liver damage because of their coffee intake. That’s hard to believe but their scientists, not me.
So, what causes these benefits? It is the anti-oxidants, and surprisingly from the caffeine also. Currently, drugs for curing Parkinson’s disease are being developed. These drugs have a derivative of caffeine as their component. Coffee also has chlorogenic acid and tocopherols which are antioxidants. These mineral components can improve insulin sensitivity. When we talk about insulin sensitivity, it is the body’s response to insulin.
There were studies conducted in Europe citing that the trigonelline, the compound which is why coffee smells good and has a bitter taste, also has benefits. It can be both antibacterial and anti-adhesive. These prevent the formation of dental cavities.
Harmful Effects Of Caffeine
For pregnant women, if coffee cannot be avoided, then it is recommended just to drink one to two cups a day. Infertility, miscarriages, and low birth weight among babies are the primary reason why pregnant women are recommended against drinking coffee.
Excessive caffeine intake can also lead to nervousness, anxiety and rapid heartbeat. The caffeine overstimulates the nervous system, making the adrenal glands work overboard. Osteoporosis patients are also advised against coffee. Coffee reduces the capability of bones to absorb the necessary minerals, making the bones weak and in risk of osteoporosis. But the effects can be reduced if milk is mixed with coffee.
For some people, coffee can also be addictive. People who have stopped drinking coffee experience withdrawal symptoms. They would get headaches, less energy, and alertness, difficulty in being focused, get irritated easily and sometimes even get depressed.
Over caffeine consumption can also have an impact on your skin since it increases the risk of developing stretch marks. Caffeine may also play a role in weight gain. Although, it is mentioned that coffee drinkers may lose weight in the short-term, but in a longer period of time, coffee can lead to weight gain.
Is Coffee Healthy For You? It’s Up To You to Make The Choice
Coffee both has good and bad effects. Similar to other beverages and food, once it is taken in big amounts, then it is likely that they may have undesirable effects on your body.
Whether coffee can be considered as a health drink, it is up to you to make the choice.